Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Fortune Cookie

"Counting time is not as important as making time count."

He was only 27 hours old, and the tiny newborn’s mother graciously allowed me to hold him. So small and so helpless, but a whole person nonetheless, the little boy curled up close to my shoulder and nuzzled. I put my face down on the side of his miniature head and drank in the newborn smell. What a sweet experience. How fortunate I am to have a friend who trusts me with her brand new precious miracle.

Five and a half months ago, I was the new mother in the hospital bed and my friend who just entrusted her new baby boy to my arms held my precious baby girl. It seems like it was yesterday and at the same time seems like it was years ago.

Time, as time always does, has ticked by callously, giving and taking moments without pause. Those minutes, hours, days, weeks, and months are so significant.

I’ve spent much of my life counting time. Now, my days are spent making every second of time count because now, finally, I realize how precious and fleeting it is.

No comments: